As The Race reports, Formula 1 is actively preparing a fallback venue for the end of the 2026 season, with work already underway at Imola. While the championship's intention remains to race in Qatar and Abu Dhabi as scheduled, ongoing conflict in the region previously forced the cancellation of both the Bahrain and Saudi Arabian GPs earlier this year, creating a cloud of uncertainty over the final rounds.
Originally, F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali indicated at the end of July that a decision would be made before the middle of September if the situation did not clear up. However, following discussions in the F1 Commission on Monday this week, teams now expect an answer by mid-October. That timeline is dictated by strict logistical realities, as even sea freight heading to Qatar by mid-October will be cutting it close for an event scheduled at the end of November.
It's more from the organisation and the logistics, really. And mid-October, hopefully we may do the right decision.
To avoid being left without a viable finale following the Las Vegas round on November 21, F1 has designated Imola as its Plan B. Work has already begun to ensure the Italian circuit can step in if required, with F1 committing to cover the costs of these preparations—including the setup of grandstands—even if the switch ultimately does not happen.
"I believe that Imola is getting ready in case we have to do it," noted Haas team principal Ayao Komatsu. He pointed out the operational hurdles involved, explaining that European motorhome structures rely on personnel who usually have winter jobs, meaning alternative staffing would need to be found.
Addressing potential weather concerns regarding a December race in Italy, Audi boss Mattia Binotto dismissed the idea that snow would be an issue. Pointing out that average temperatures in Imola during that period are actually higher than those experienced during the Las Vegas GP, Binotto insisted that weather is a non-issue compared to the heavy organizational and logistical demands.
"So I don't think that's a true concern," Binotto added. "It's more from the organisation and the logistics, really. And mid-October, hopefully we may do the right decision."



.webp&w=800)
















