As Motorsport.com reports, Marc Marquez insists the track conditions at Phillip Island were entirely acceptable for racing on Sunday, pointing out that the Australian Grand Prix could have safely proceeded if the medical helicopter had been able to fly.
Heavy rain and high-speed winds hit the venue on Sunday, following completely uninterrupted running on Friday and Saturday. While many circuits can rely on a backup ambulance during major accidents, the vast distance between Phillip Island and mainland Melbourne meant a helicopter was strictly required to ensure any injured rider could reach the designated hospital swiftly. Because severe weather grounded the aircraft, Sunday's race was ultimately called off after multiple delays.
Marquez evaluated the circuit himself during two demonstration laps behind the safety car after the cancellation was made official. “Of course, I feel sad for all the fans at Phillip Island, because Phillip Island didn’t deserve its last race having been cancelled,” he said on the official MotoGP broadcast. “The conditions were acceptable, but unluckily the medical helicopter was not ready to fly, so, [the cancellation] was for safety reasons. I’m very sorry for all of you (the fans). We were ready as riders to race, but today we couldn’t. Thank you for supporting MotoGP.”
This premature end marks the final chapter for Phillip Island as a MotoGP venue, with the 4.4km circuit scheduled to give way to a revamped urban layout in Adelaide next year. “I have very good memories,” Marquez added. “Yesterday’s pole position was a very good lap, the 2024 victory in the main race. So, Phillip Island will always remain one of my favourite circuits.”
The timing of the cancellation is particularly harsh for the championship fight. Marquez had seized the lead in Saturday’s sprint after an epic battle with Jorge Martin, who subsequently crashed out on lap 8. The Aprilia rider broke his arm in the accident and was declared unfit for Sunday, meaning Marquez would have nearly certainly extended his advantage in the standings if the grand prix had gone ahead.
Ducati team manager Davide Tardozzi conceded that the wet weather played straight into their hands, especially after Marquez claimed pole position by 1.5s following overnight showers on Saturday, but he fully supported halting the event. “For Ducati, it's obvious that we missed an opportunity,” Tardozzi stated. “In these conditions, Marc was the favourite, but safety is paramount. There is no helicopter and the conditions are not good. Marc knew he could win and score 25 points, but safety comes first, I insist. The first thing we are always thinking about at Ducati is rider safety. And that's ahead of everything; sport, business and whatever. Personally, I already lost the career of one rider here with Carl Fogarty, so I don't want to see something else again. And if the decision is that for safety we have to quit, we have to quit again. I think we miss an opportunity, but safety comes ahead of sport.”











