As RaceFans reports, Formula 1 team bosses have stated that a decision must be delivered by the middle of this month to determine whether the final two rounds of the calendar will go ahead as scheduled.
Qatar and Abu Dhabi are currently slated to host the closing races of the season in November and December. Yet, the war in Iran—which previously forced the cancellation of events in nearby Bahrain and Saudi Arabia six months ago—has thrown those plans into uncertainty. In response, a backup plan has been prepared to stage an alternative event at Imola, with F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali having previously indicated that a final call would arrive by mid-September.
Speaking in Azerbaijan, Haas team principal Ayao Komatsu outlined the timeline, stating, “I believe Stefano was targeting to tell us in mid-October. So, we all know what the situation is. I believe that Imola is getting ready in case we have to do it.” Komatsu noted the organizational hurdles involved, pointing out that European motorhome structures and the personnel who maintain them have winter jobs lined up, requiring alternative staff to be sourced. Even so, he expressed confidence in the community pulling through if needed, while emphasizing that visiting Qatar and Abu Dhabi remains the preferred baseline.
While drivers have raised concerns over potentially cold conditions should the championship visit Imola in December, Audi team principal Mattia Binotto dismissed temperature as a major issue. “The main challenges are more organisation and logistics,” Binotto said. Comparing the climate to other stops on the calendar, he added that the average temperature in Imola at that time of year is actually hotter than Las Vegas.
Ultimately, the paddock waits on a definitive answer. The clock is ticking down to the middle of the month for a verdict on how the season will reach its conclusion.










